I’m excited to host debut author RuthAnne Snow on the blog today! Her first novel, When the Truth Unravels, released last week and today RuthAnne is sharing with us the playlist she listened during the various stages of writing it!
Thanks for having me on your blog to talk about WHEN THE TRUTH UNRAVELS! When Jordan asked me to share my playlist, I was both excited and intimidated. Excited because I love music, intimidated because my musical tastes can be pretty hit-or-miss. There’s a lot of guilty pleasure on my iTunes, is all I am saying. (For a long, long time my most played song was “See You Again” from Miley Cyrus. Like, pre-Bangerz, Hannah Montana soundtrack Miley Cyrus.)
So with all those caveats, here are some of the songs that were on perma-repeat while I was drafting, revising, and editing WHEN THE TRUTH UNRAVELS and a little bit about what each one means to me:
- “Umbrella” by Rihanna featuring Jay-Z and “We Got The World” by Icona Pop. It’s a friendship book, it needs a friendship playlist. Followed by …
- “Bang Bang” by Jessie J, Ariana Grande, & Nicki Minaj and “Blow” by Kesha. The girls need some getting ready for prom songs before heading to a pre-party that three of them never expected to be invited to.
- “Set the Fire to the Third Bar” by Snow Patrol. This song feels like the moment that Jenna, Rosie, and Ket realize that Elin has left the prom without telling them where she is going.
- “Follow” by Crystal Fighters, “Haunted” by Taylor Swift, and “Demons” by The National. Searching for Elin songs/Elin flashback songs.
- “Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin” by Journey. I know this song is actually about finding out your girlfriend is cheating on you, but to my ears it kind of sounds like the perfect kinda-sexy, kinda-innocent song that goes along with a first make out in a certain Subaru.
- “Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Scene” by Hozier. Ket confronts __________ (spoilers, sorry!)
- “Ends of the Earth” by Lord Huron and “You Got Me” by Ingrid Michaelson featuring Storyman. The end.
If you want to listen to the full playlist, you can find it here:
I recommend shuffle mode, since I definitely have no claim at being a skilled music arranger.
Thanks again for having me on THE HEART OF A BOOK BLOGGER!
About the Book
Release Date: January 8, 2019
Find it: Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble
Last month, Elin tried to kill herself.
She knows she’s lucky that her parents found her in time. Lucky to be going to prom with her three best friends, like any other teen. Like it never happened. And if she has anything to say about it, no one but her best friends will ever know it did.
Jenna, Rosie, and Ket will do anything to keep Elin’s secret—and to make sure it never happens again. That’s why they’re determined to make prom the perfect night. The night that convinces Elin that life is worth living.
Except, at prom, Elin goes missing.
Now it’s up to her friends to find her. But each of the girls has her own demons to face. Ket is being blackmailed by an ex. Rosie is falling in love for the first time. And Jenna . . .
Jenna is falling apart.
And no one, not even her best friends, knows why.
Heart-wrenching and utterly impossible to put down, When the Truth Unravels follows four friends as they confront their greatest hopes and darkest secrets in one life-changing night.
RuthAnne Snow was born and raised in Kaysville, Utah. She was a sorority girl in college and social activities director in law school―which was a lot like being back in the sorority. She loves traveling, watching horror movies, and baking. She lives in Salt Lake City with her husband and dogs. WHEN THE TRUTH UNRAVELS is her first novel.
John Smithsays:March 12, 2019 at 7:47 AM
Ingrid Michaelson is probably most my thing here, but there are one or two Journey songs that are hard to resist!
Jordansays:June 24, 2019 at 10:13 PM
I love Ingrid Michaelson! One of my old roommates would always play her songs as we cooked and she got me hooked.
Melanie Bsays:March 13, 2019 at 4:54 PM
Sounds good, and great playlist!
Jordansays:June 24, 2019 at 10:14 PM
Right? I love seeing this look into an author’s inspiration.