Today, I’m featuring Morgan Matson in my thirteenth author Q&A. Morgan is the author of Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, Second Chance Summer, Since You’ve been Gone, and her latest, The Unexpected Everything. Morgan also wrote The Broken Hearts & Revenge trilogy under the pen name, Katie Finn.
- Jordan: What was the greatest piece of writing advice you have received?
- Morgan Matson: “You can’t edit a blank page” – meaning that it’s better to write something, even if it’s bad, and just get the words down.
- J: What’s your favorite/least favorite part of the writing process?
- MM: I hate the MIDDLE of a first draft when everything seems to be falling apart. You just have to push on through to the end!
- J: What is one of your favorite scenes you’ve written?
- MM: I love the sock sliding scene in Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, and the “kiss a stranger” scene in Since You’ve Been Gone. and the scavenger hunt scene in The Unexpected Everything!
- J: Is there a specific trait that one of your characters have that you wish had?
- MM: Andie from The Unexpected Everything is really organized and good at math and science, and I am NONE of those things!!
- J: Which of your guys would you have dated in high school?
- MM: I’d like to think ALL of them! 🙂 🙂
- J: Which one of your characters do you relate the most to?
- MM: Probably Emily from Since You’ve Been Gone.
- J: Who are your favorite minor characters to write?
- MM: The minor characters are my favorite! I love them so. Collins, Lucien, Toby….I have so much fun with all of them.
- J: Which of your covers is your favorite?
- MM: SO hard to pick!! I love them all! But the Second Chance Summer cover was such a lovely surprise – it captures the book so well!
- J: Confession: I’ve only read Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour and Second Chance Summer so far but they made me cry so hard. Will Since You’ve Been Gone & The Unexpected Everything cause any tears?
- MM: Um – maybe? Not as MUCH as the first two, for sure!!
- J: If any of your books could be turned into a movie, which one would you like to see most?
- MM: Amy & Roger!!
- J: What was the last TV show you binge-watched?
- MM: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, on Netflix! The second season was AMAZING!
Thank you for answering all my questions during the twitter chat, Morgan! Be sure to check out The Unexpected Everything in stores now!
Kate@ Read and Dreamsays:May 30, 2016 at 4:02 PM
AHHH so lucky to have Morgan Matson! I met her once and she is so sweet and full of energy 🙂 You should definitely read Since You’ve Been Gone- it’s a really easy, fun read.
Jordansays:May 30, 2016 at 5:32 PM
I met her once before I started reading her books. I hope to meet her again one day! I’m hoping to get to SYBG this summer! Thanks for the rec! 🙂