The Letters are out aka the To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before movie has released on Netflix! I am so excited about this movie being out in the world (I may have watched it three times already) and I really wanted to share my thoughts on it with other book lovers. I thought about live tweeting while watching it, but then decided that might be too spoiler-y so instead this post was born! Read on for 101 thoughts I had while watching the movie. And then check out my book vs. movie review!
101 Thoughts I Had While Watching To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before Movie
- Okay, that opening scene is gorgeous. WHERE IS THAT FIELD?
- “I just want to finish this chapter” sameeeeeeee
- I LOVE that Lara Jean has a Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys shelf in her room (as this was totally me in high school)
- Also, her messy room is a total mood.
- I love Kitty—”I can drive and if we get pulled over we can switch places real quick” 😂
- I just noticed Kitty’s squinty side eye at Josh for the first time when he brings up airplanes—it’s so perfect!
- Yikes, poor Josh. So awkward for the fam.
- Lara Jean wearing the gold heart necklace—obviously Peter won’t give it to her if they make P.S. I Still Love You into a movie.
- I love Lara Jean’s room (and the rest of the house) SO MUCH.
- Margot getting into Lara Jean’s bed with her flip flops on gets on my nerves every time I see it. My annoyance for that one little part kind of inspired this whole post BECAUSE WHO DOES THAT??
- So where is the movie set? I know the book is set in Virginia but these city shots do not look like it…
- YES, Kitty asked for a dog like in the book!
- OMG, Dr. Covey doing the whole Pinterest Mom first day of school photo is too cute.
- I love Lara Jean’s outfits, especially those boots.
- OUR FIRST PETER K SIGHTING. Honestly the best part of older actors playing teen guys means that they’re really my age in real life 😉
- Baby Gen’s reaction to Lara Jean and Peter K’s spin the bottle kiss 😬
- Lonely, heartbroken Josh rocking that denim on denim.
- Answer for #11—I see an Oregon license plate.
- Peter’s “hi how you doin'” and his little smile I can’t even 😍
- Does Kitty’s necklace say feminist? Love it!
- No, Kitty it is definitely not depressing to stay in on Saturday nights #introvertlife
- I like Chris so much more in the movie, but does her eyes like they’re kind of glowing as she runs away to the nurses office?
- I love the drama in Lara Jean ACTUALLY FAINTING when Peter shows her the letter.
- So the PE teacher notices Lara Jean and Peter kissing but not when one of his students passes out on the track??
- Peter’s like whoawhoawhoa don’t stop kissing me, Lara Jean.
- The Queen herself, Jenny Han! She’s honestly the cutest as she watches Lara Jean and Lucas dance.
- Kitty’s “oh shoot” face as Lara Jean freaks out about the hat box
- LJ LITERALLY ROLLS OFF THE ROOF TO ESCAPE CONFRONTATION
- “Your mouth is saying something but your mouth said something completely different”
- HOW CUTE IS IT THAT PETER LOOKS FOR JOAN THE WAITRESS’S NAME TAG AND CALLS HER BY NAME?! what a keeper.
- Peter offended that he wasn’t the only letter recipient.
- Definitely bummed that Peter doesn’t know John Ambrose McClaren.
- Peter’s already completely smitten with Lara Jean—also him being sneaky and making Josh jealous already (which is such a high school boy thing and perfect for a teen romcom).
- Contract time! Peter K. so on aboard with watching movies (which really doesn’t even matter for the fake relationship because no one from school will even see them) and then getting all soft with the notes AND ALREADY PLANNING ON THE SKI TRIP.
- I love Kitty and how sassy and feisty she is.
- OMG THAT BACK POCKET SPIN. I’M DEAD. IT’S FINE.
- I have the same apron as Lara Jean and it honestly makes me so happy. Also, yay for baking!
- Peter already making friends with Dr. Covey—I just wished Peter helped Lara Jean bake like he does in the book.
- It really is a nice scrunchie.
- That TOO CUTE hand hold pull Peter does.
- Lara Jean’s head nod to Gen like you’re not wrong when Gen says she knows them.
- Peter staying sober because he’s driving. Again, what a keeper.
- That cute face he makes when Lara Jean kisses his cheek in the selfie.
- Peter wearing Lara Jean’s scrunchie on his wrist is too cute.
- TAKE THE SCRUNCHIE BACK, PETER.
- Look at those two siting next to each other at the diner like they’re a real couple.
- Lara Jean dropping Gen truth bombs on Peter.
- Peter knowing exactly which boys have liked Lara Jean in the past.
- Look at our two cuties getting deep and real on their “fake” date.
- Peter acting like he was just punched in the stomach when Lara Jean says their pretending.
- Who drives Lara Jean home after Peter leaves the diner??
- That smile when Peter responds to her text.
- Ughhh, Josh again. I love the sweatshirt Lara Jean’s wearing in this scene, though.
- Peter calling racism out.
- PETER MOVING THE POPCORN BOWL TO THE FLOOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THE PILLOW FIGHT WITH KITTY. WHAT A KEEPER.
- Wow, look at those two having deep conversations and listening to each other.
- Leave Peter alone, Gen.
- Don’t talk to Josh about it, Lara Jean. That is a pretty cool astronaut display behind them.
- Don’t be scared! PETER IS ALREADY IN LOVE WITH YOU.
- Dr. Covey leaving that conversation with Chris SO QUICKLY.
- Some good ole’ fatherly advice…
- Peter patiently waiting for his girl on the bus just to be rejected.
- I don’t think I’ll ever be able to listen to this song (I Like Me Better) without thinking about this movie now.
- I would be so stressed out if some kid in my class threw up all the hotel key cards in the air like that.
- Lara Jean bringing all the books for a two day ski trip—she can definitely join our bookworm club!
- Peter sulking in the hot tube all by himself.
- Nah, girl, he’s been pinning after you.
- HE GOT HER KOREAN YOGURTS.
- IT MEANS HE LIKES YOUUUUUUUUUU.
- LARA JEAN IS COMING IN.
- Yes, I just turned on the subtitles so I could understand what Lara Jean says (“I didn’t bring a bathing suit” in case you were wondering).
- IT’S HAPPENING.
- PETER PULLING LARA JEAN BACK FOR A GOODNIGHT KISS HOW ADORABLE.
- I hope Lara Jean brought an extra night gown.
- Peter is literally so cute resting his head on Lara Jean’s shoulder.
- LARA JEAN, YOU NEED TO RIP THAT DAMN SCRUNCHIE AWAY FROM HER.
- Let him explain! There better be a good reason.
- I spy a portrait of Lara Jean’s mom!
- Margot’s home! And the house has been Christmas-fied!
- Peter came! He’s not giving up on Lara Jean.
- GO AWAY JOSH! YOU’RE NOT WANTED HERE!
- Lara Jean throwing away her romance books because her relationship with Peter is over.
- DON’T RIP THE CONTRACT. DON’T DO IT.
- Frick the hot tub video is live. But huge props to Margot for helping Lara Jean even though she’s hurting right now.
- Honestly, the actress playing Margot seems a little too old to be playing an 18 year old girl to me :/
- You mean Song Girls right????
- Major difference from the book: Kitty sending the love letters out of love instead of spite. I kind of like this change.
- “Give me the unicorn” — what a line 😂
- THAT BACKGROUND PHOTO OF LJ AND PETER K IS MY FAVORITE THING.
- What a great father-daughter moment <3
- I’m glad Peter stoop up for Lara Jean.
- Yeah, girl! You go confront Gen! Also, I love LJ calling girl/girl hate “despicable”
- Those middle school grudges, though.
- Kitty saving all of Peter’s notes <333
- Go get the boy, Lara Jean! (also look at that personal growth with driving to school—horrible parking job, though)
- I love that the movie starts going into the second book with LJ’s letter to Peter.
- YES YOU CAN MOST DEFINITELY SAY SOMETHING, PETER!
- LARA JEAN SAYING I LIKE YOU AND PETER LIKE NAH I LOVE YOU IS THE BEST
- “You gonna break my heart, Covey” *sobs*
- John Ambrose McClaren!! THERE BETTER BE A SEQUEL!
- Some end notes: I loved the soundtrack, costumes, set, script, and actors so much. I JUST REALLY LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS MOVIE, OKAY!?
Colleen's Conclusionssays:August 20, 2018 at 11:14 AM
LOVED this post. Felt like I was watching the movie while working. I also ADORED Peter and I need to reread the books ASAP because I now ship them more than John and Lara Jean. And also is it ok to read the same book more than once in the same year? Hmmm. Is TATBILB an exception to that rule?
Jordansays:January 1, 2019 at 8:44 PM
Yes, TATBILB is totally an exception! I adored the movie and all of its charm so much!
Haleysays:August 20, 2018 at 5:14 PM
This is such a unique post! It took me my second or third rewatch to figure out the setting, and I LOVED Jenny Han’s cameo!
Jordansays:January 1, 2019 at 8:47 PM
Thank you! I needed someone to talk to about all my feelings, so this was the perfect outlet!
Cora @ Tea Party Princesssays:August 22, 2018 at 2:24 AM
I love this!
And I loved pretty much everything about the film too 🙂
Cora | http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/
Jordansays:January 1, 2019 at 8:48 PM
Thank you! It was so adorable! I’m glad the sequel is going to be made!
Shealea @ That Bookshelf Bitchsays:September 7, 2018 at 12:55 AM
Oh! Reading this post has made me really, really happy! I wasn’t a fan of the book, but I adored the film! Really adorable.
I’m actually thinking of doing a similar post for TATBILB and Crazy Rich Asians. I’ll be sure to mention your post in mine because aaaaah, this is lovely and I enjoyed reading your thoughts!
Jordansays:January 1, 2019 at 8:50 PM
Thank you! I would love to read your thoughts on TATBILB and Crazy Rich Asians! Both were some of my favorite movies of the summer and the year!