I’m excited to host Danika Stone today as one of the Sunday Street Team tour stops! Thanks for answering my questions, Danika!
- Which one of your characters do you relate to the most? Probably my most-similar character (or most relatable) is Louise Newman from Edge of Wild. She has a story for every situation – which fits perfectly for me. She also lives in the very same small town in the Rockies where I grew up.
- What was the greatest piece of writing advice you have received? “A good job done now is better than a perfect job never finished.” That idea that if you polish it enough, you’ll get to the very BEST place is not entirely true. You lose some of the magic if you get rid of all the rough edges (or lose your chance to publish it, if you wait too long.) So write the best you can, polish it up, then let it go. That’s the only way!
- Which YA protagonists (from any series) do you think would get along best with your main characters? Honestly, I think Laurent would get along with pretty much everyone! Ha ha! But as to Madi, I think she’d get along with quieter, less confident people, like Eleanor from Eleanor and Park. I could totally see Madi and Laurent hanging out and talking music with those two!
- What is one of your favorite scenes you’ve ever written? I have MANY favorite scenes. (So many that I’m not sure I can choose just one.) If pressed, I’ll say that the opening scene of my current manuscript – which has a bit of a Mary Tyler Moore feel – was REALLY fun to write! Another favorite is Laurent taking Madi to see the graffiti. (It’s a crossover to another book I wrote a few years back.) I love when places I’ve imagined in one book show up in another.
- Is there anything you regret writing (or not writing) in one of your books? Every once in a while I realize that there was a great moment or tidbit of conversation that would have been perfect within a book. I don’t really worry about it though. You write the book you are able to write at that moment. If I waited until every little part was perfect, I wouldn’t write anything at all.
- Is there a specific trait that one of your characters have that you wish had? I really love the fearlessness that Madi Nakama (Internet Famous) has. I’d love to be able to do that! (Of course, Laurent’s looks are pretty amazing too.)
- What is the weirdest thing you’ve Googled while researching for a book? Er… let’s see. When I was working on Edge of Wild, a contemporary thriller, I looked up a lot of things about blood loss. Yeesh! If anyone was watching my browser history in those days they would have been concerned for my sanity.
- If any of your books could be turned into a movie, which one would you like to see most? Oh goodness, that’s a hard one to choose! I suppose for now, it’s probably sitting at All the Feels since a lot of that book circles around a fandom I invented. Internet Famous is a close second, but since lots of that includes memes, they might not translate as well. It’s a hard choice though!